Quiz # 1
Pretend you need to teach these major ideas to a friend in written form. Answer the questions below thoroughly with detailed explanations. When prompted, please provide examples form your text and/or lectures.
Format: 4-5 pages, double-spaced, 12pt font, 1″ margins.
1. What are the 4 traditional roles of the artist, according to the text? Please explain them in detail and provide one example of each.
2. Explain the 2 general ways art is valued. Please explain the term “aesthetic emotion” and what produces it.
3. Please explain semiotic theory in detail. What are the 3 types of signs? How are they linked to their referents?
4. What is “tenebrism”? Provide an example.
5. What is a “canon of proportions”? Provide an example.
6. Please explain the difference between the terms: naturalistic, realistic, idealistic, abstract. And, provide an example of each.
7. List and explain 3 types of line.
8. List at least 6 ways an artist can generate the illusion of 3d space on a 2d surface, and explain those that need explanation.
9. What are the primary and secondary colors? What are complimentary colors, and what are analogous colors? What are warm colors, and what are cool colors?