1. How is the criminal law different from other types of law?
2. What is the difference between retributive and utilitarian theories of punishment?
3. Into what category does modern punishment theory fit?
1. What are the differences between determinate and indeterminate sentencing?
2. What is the current legal status of sentencing guidelines?
3. What is the current legal status of habitual offender laws, such as three-strikes laws?
1. What is the difference between probation and parole?
2. What is the constitutional basis on which courts have found the death penalty to be unlawful in some instances?
3. Would your answer to (a) change if you knew that charging a felony would count as a third strike under the criminal code so that Jones would be subject to a sentence of 25-years-to-life?