1. How can training for those who conduct performance evaluations improve the overall effectiveness of the performance management system?
2. Review three of the evaluation approaches discussed in this chapter by applying W. Edwards Deming’s criticisms. How does each approach fare?
What is “360-degree feedback”? What advantages might it have over more traditional performance appraisal systems that use only downward feedback?
What are some of the potential problems that could occur in using a 360-degree feedback system?
1. How often should formal performance evaluations take place? Informal ones?
2. Explain why performance management is important in accomplishing organizational goals.
3. What are the characteristics of an effective appraisal interview? How should new and experienced employees be treated differently during the interview?