Beginning on Monday, January 31st, the following behaviors are prohibited:
- Using streaming services of any kind to watch television (or videos) or listen to music
- No Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Roku, Sling, Pandora, etc.
- Exception: You are allowed to use these services if required for coursework at USM.
- Example: Some videos in this course are hosted by YouTube. Watching videos on YouTube is okay if it is required in this (or any other) course.
- Using social media of any kind for any purpose
- No Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, TikTok, MySpace (ha ha), etc.
- Exception: If you receive a critical emergency messagevia social media (e.g., concerning the health of a relative), you may respond.
- Using an electronic gaming platform
- No console (e.g., X Box) or computer gaming.
- Using your cell phone for anything other than a phone call or text messaging
- No games, using GPS, internet, etc.
- Exception: You are allowed to use your phone to check your USM email.
- Exception: If you receive a critical emergency messagethrough a social media application (e.g., concerning the health of a relative), you may respond.
You will document this “quitting experience” in an addiction journal. Please follow all instructions below:
You will construct a series of journal entries that document your cessationexperiences over a period of fourteenconsecutive days (January 31st – December 13th).
- You must complete one entry per day.
- Entries must be in a narrative format (e.g., use complete sentences and proper grammar/spelling/punctuation).
- Each entry must be at least foursentences in length.