There are many measurements of the human body that are positively correlated. For example, the length of one’s forearm (measured from elbow to wrist) is approximately the same length as the foot (measured from heel to toe). They are positively correlated because, as one measurement increases, so does the other measurement.
You will discover through this project whether a human’s arm span (measured across the body with the arms extended) is correlated to his height.
You will need to collect data from 11 people, which will give you 12 data points including your own personal data. You will turn in and answer questions regarding only one scatter plot if doing the project alone.
Part One: Measurements
1. Measure your own height and arm span (from finger-tip to finger-tip) in inches. You will likely need some help from a parent, guardian, or sibling to get accurate measurements. Record your measurements on the “Data Record” document. Use the “Data Record” to help you complete Part Two of this project.
2. Measure 11 additional people, and record their arm spans and heights in inches.
Part Two: Representation of Data with Plots
1. Using graphing software of your choice, create a scatter plot of your data. Predict the line of best fit, and sketch it on your graph.
2. Copy and paste your scatter plot into a word processing document.
Part Three: The Line of Best Fit
Include your scatter plot and the answers to the following questions in your word processing document.
1. Which variable did you plot on the x-axis, and which variable did you plot on the y-axis? Explain why you assigned the variables in that way.
2. Write the equation of the line of best fit using the slope-intercept formula $y = mx + b$. Show all your work, including the points used to determine the slope and how the equation was determined.
3. What does the slope of the line represent within the context of your graph? What does the y-intercept represent?
4. Test the residuals of two other points to determine how well the line of best fit models the data.
5. Use the line of best fit to help you to describe the data correlation.
6. Using the line of best fit that you found in Part Three, Question 2, approximate how tall is a person whose arm span is 66 inches?
7. According to your line of best fit, what is the arm span of a 74-inch-tall person?
06.06 Scatter Plots and Line of Best Fit
RequirementsPossible PointsStudent PointsStudent creates a scatter plot correctly according to submitted data.3
Student shows that the line of best fit goes through the center of the data.2 Student answers Question 1 correctly by determining which variable should be on which axis.2 Student answers Question 2 correctly, presenting a reasonable equation for the line of best fit given the data.3 Student answers Questions 3 through 7 correctly based on the data provided (2 points each).10
Exemplary Academic Writing Service
At TheQuizlet.com, you are guaranteed of quality service from our professional writers. We maintain consistent communication with customers after placing an order to avoid missing anything that may compromise the quality of delivered work.
Our hiring process is rigorous to maintain the desired quality that has become the core of our business. We expose potential writers to an uncompromising selection process that enables TheQuizlet to pick the best out of the rest. TheQuizlet boasts of a competent team of writers, editors, and professors who work towards accomplishing your goals.
TheQuizlet has an in-house plagiarism software that lowers the probability of delivering plagiarized papers to our clients. Referencing is guided by the format specified by a customer when placing an order. Our writers are conversant with all referencing formats that include APA, MLA, Chicago, Harvard, and Vancouver among others.
24/7 Customer Support
We understand the importance of effective communication and as such, TheQuizlet has a dedicated customer support department that responds to all client needs. You can easily contact our team through a chat window at the bottom left corner. Additionally, clients can reach us through support’s email or a telephone number available on our contact page. Feel free to contact us at any time and our team of experts will solve all your problems.
Swift Delivery and 100% Money-back Guarantee
When placing an order, ensure that you specify the correct deadline to help our writers work around the provided timeline. At TheQuizlet, we deliver our tasks before the projected deadline to give time for the customer to proofread the work before submission. In the event we cannot deliver a paper on time, we initiate contact with the client to renegotiate a new deadline.
Unlimited and Free Revisions
We urge all our customers to request for a revision whenever they identify a need to amend the paper. Since we understand your concerns, TheQuizlet.com does not charge for revisions. Nonetheless, we encourage customers to be genuine when requesting for revisions.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
TheQuizlet is a one-stop shop for all your writing needs. We tackle each customer’s needs differently to improve the quality of outcomes and meet your expectations.
TheQuizlet is committed to delivering quality work on time to ensure our clients get the value for their money.
Admission Essays and Professional Writing
Admission essays are personal, as opposed to other papers. For this reason, our team will request for any information that will enable them to deliver quality work, which allows you to convince the admissions board on why you should be granted the application.
Editing and Proofreading
Our team comprises of qualified researchers, writers, and editors who go through the different papers before delivering them to our clients. Whether your paper is being written from scratch or you want it to be edited, you can trust TheQuizlet for all your needs.
After receiving the final draft, you can request for a revision to incorporate various changes that are aligned with your expectations. All our papers are written in line with the latest writing standards.