Cybersecurity for OPEN Data Initiatives
|Number of words||1763|
|Number of sources||0|
A federal agency has asked your cybersecurity consulting firm to provide it with a research report that examines the issues of usefulness and security in regards to Open Data. The report is intended for a group of executives at the agency who are currently involved in converting paper-based data sets to digital formats for distribution via digital government websites. This report is particularly important as the agency head has received inquiries from Congressional staff members who are conveying concerns that various elected officials have about potential issues with the integrity and authenticity of downloaded data. The agency’s executives were also surveyed and they provided the following security-related items in a list of concerns for the planned conversion to an Open Data delivery method:
a. Confidentiality / Privacy (ensuring proper redaction)
b. Data integrity
c. Data authenticity
d. Availability (reliability) of the Open Data service (website, network infrastructure)
e. Non-repudiation of data sets
1. Read / Review the weekly readings. Pay special attention to EO 13800 and the Federal Cybersecurity Risk Determination Report and Action Plan.
2. Research the federal government’s OPEN Data mandate. Here are some sources that you may find useful:
a. Open Data Policy-Managing Information as an Asset – OMB Memorandum M-13-13(PDF file is in the week 2 readings). This Memorandum includes significant discussion of security issues and policy solutions including references to FIPS 199 and NIST SP-800-53)
b. U.S. Open Data Action Plan (see file us_open_data_action_plan.pdf in week 2 readings).
e. Guidance for Providing and Using Administrative Data for Statistical Purposes – OMB Memorandum M-14-06 (PDF file is in the week 2 readings). This Memorandum includes discussion of privacy and security issues arising from the use of information collected for statistical purposes (e.g. the Census, employment, economic data, etc.).
3. Research how government information, e.g. OPEN Data, is used by businesses and the general public. Here are some sources to get you started:
a. 7 Ways Companies Are Using the Government’s Open Datahttps://mashable.com/2013/05/30/7-ways-government-open-data/
b. Government open data prove a treasure trove for savvy businesseshttps://www.computerworld.com/article/2488683/business-intelligence-government-open-data-proves-a-treasure-trove-for-savvy-businesses.html
c. Open data: Unlocking innovation and performance with liquid informationhttps://www.mckinsey.com/insights/business_technology/open_data_unlocking_innovation_and_performance_with_liquid_information
4. Research the issues that can arise when businesses depend upon the confidentiality, integrity, availability, authenticity, and non-repudiation of government-provided Open Data. Suggested sources include:
a. Authenticating Digital Government Informationhttps://scholarship.richmond.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1954&context=law-faculty-publications
b. Legal and Institutional Challenges for Opening Data Across Public Sectors https://ezproxy.umgc.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=iih&AN=97430297&site=eds-live&scope=site
c. Risk Analysis to Overcome Barriers to Open Data https://ezproxy.umgc.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=poh&AN=93550378&site=eds-live&scope=site
d. Reconciling Contradictions of Open Data Regarding Transparency, Privacy, Security and Trusthttps://ezproxy.umgc.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=iih&AN=97430299&site=eds-live&scope=site
5. Find five or more best practice recommendations for ensuring the security (confidentiality, integrity, availability, authenticity, non-repudiation) of information provided by the federal government through its OPEN Data initiative. N.B. For the purposes of this assignment, you may treat “licensing” concerns as an “availability” issue.
Write a five to seven-page research report which includes a summary of your research. You should focus upon clarity and conciseness more than a length when determining what content to include in your paper. At a minimum, your summary must include the following:
1. An introduction or overview of OPEN Data that provides definitions and addresses the laws, regulations, and policies which require federal agencies to identify and publish datasets and information collections. Discuss the role of the executive branch’s Open Data / Open Government policies in making data available via Data.Gov. This introduction should be suitable for an executive audience.
2. A separate section in which you discuss the value (benefits) of Open Data. This section should provide several specific examples of how government-provided Open Data is being used by businesses and the general public.
3. A separate section in which you address security issues (confidentiality, integrity, availability, authenticity, and non-repudiation) that can impact the availability and usefulness of Open Data. Discuss how these issues are currently being addressed by the federal government. Provide examples of issues and mitigations or solutions.
4. A section in which you address best practice recommendations for ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, availability, authenticity, and non-repudiation of Open Data. Your recommendations should address the use of the NIST Cybersecurity Framework and security & privacy controls from NIST SP 800-53.
5. A separate section in which you summarize your research and recommendations.
Submit For Grading
Submit your white paper in MS Word format (.docx or .doc file) using the OPEN Data Assignment in your assignment folder. (Attach the file.)
1. Consult the grading rubric for specific content and formatting requirements for this assignment.
2. Your 5- to 7-page research report should be professional in appearance with consistent use of fonts, font sizes, margins, etc. You should use headings and page breaks to organize your paper.
3. Your paper should use standard terms and definitions for cybersecurity.
4. The CSIA program recommends that you follow standard APA formatting since this will give you a document that meets the “professional appearance” requirements. APA formatting guidelines and examples are found under Course Resources > APA Resources. An APA template file (MS Word format) has also been provided for your use CSIA_Basic_Paper_Template(APA_6ed,DEC2018).docx.
5. You must include a cover page with the assignment title, your name, and the due date. Your reference list must be on a separate page at the end of your file. These pages do not count towards the assignment’s page count.
6. You should write grammatically correct English in every assignment that you submit for grading. Do not turn in any work without (a) using spell check, (b) using grammar check, (c) verifying that your punctuation is correct and (d) reviewing your work for correct word usage and correctly structured sentences and paragraphs.
7. You must credit your sources using in-text citations and reference list entries. Both your citations and your reference list entries must follow a consistent citation style (APA, MLA, etc.).
Exemplary Academic Writing Service
At TheQuizlet.com, you are guaranteed of quality service from our professional writers. We maintain consistent communication with customers after placing an order to avoid missing anything that may compromise the quality of delivered work.
Our hiring process is rigorous to maintain the desired quality that has become the core of our business. We expose potential writers to an uncompromising selection process that enables TheQuizlet to pick the best out of the rest. TheQuizlet boasts of a competent team of writers, editors, and professors who work towards accomplishing your goals.
TheQuizlet has an in-house plagiarism software that lowers the probability of delivering plagiarized papers to our clients. Referencing is guided by the format specified by a customer when placing an order. Our writers are conversant with all referencing formats that include APA, MLA, Chicago, Harvard, and Vancouver among others.
24/7 Customer Support
We understand the importance of effective communication and as such, TheQuizlet has a dedicated customer support department that responds to all client needs. You can easily contact our team through a chat window at the bottom left corner. Additionally, clients can reach us through support’s email or a telephone number available on our contact page. Feel free to contact us at any time and our team of experts will solve all your problems.
Swift Delivery and 100% Money-back Guarantee
When placing an order, ensure that you specify the correct deadline to help our writers work around the provided timeline. At TheQuizlet, we deliver our tasks before the projected deadline to give time for the customer to proofread the work before submission. In the event we cannot deliver a paper on time, we initiate contact with the client to renegotiate a new deadline.
Unlimited and Free Revisions
We urge all our customers to request for a revision whenever they identify a need to amend the paper. Since we understand your concerns, TheQuizlet.com does not charge for revisions. Nonetheless, we encourage customers to be genuine when requesting for revisions.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
TheQuizlet is a one-stop shop for all your writing needs. We tackle each customer’s needs differently to improve the quality of outcomes and meet your expectations.
TheQuizlet is committed to delivering quality work on time to ensure our clients get the value for their money.
Admission Essays and Professional Writing
Admission essays are personal, as opposed to other papers. For this reason, our team will request for any information that will enable them to deliver quality work, which allows you to convince the admissions board on why you should be granted the application.
Editing and Proofreading
Our team comprises of qualified researchers, writers, and editors who go through the different papers before delivering them to our clients. Whether your paper is being written from scratch or you want it to be edited, you can trust TheQuizlet for all your needs.
After receiving the final draft, you can request for a revision to incorporate various changes that are aligned with your expectations. All our papers are written in line with the latest writing standards.